What is the GAPA Foundation Scholarship?
The GAPA Foundation Scholarship provides financial assistance to API LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer) students who are in the process of applying or are currently attending a post-secondary institution. The purpose of the GAPA Foundation Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to Asian and Pacific Islander (API) students who are interested in activism in the API and LGBTQ communities. High school seniors, undergraduate, graduate, and trade/vocational school students are encouraged to apply.
How much is the GAPA Foundation Scholarship?
The GAPA Foundation Scholarship will range from $1000 – $5000, and several scholarships may be awarded in a calendar year. In addition, one outstanding applicant will be awarded the Donald Masuda Memorial Scholarship (co-funded by the Lacuna Giving Circle).
What are the minimum eligibility requirements for this scholarship?
You must be in the process of applying or currently attending a post-secondary institution in the United States. We invite high school seniors, undergraduate, and graduate students to apply. The application is open to students who attend community college, university, and trade/vocational school. Applicants should have a strong history of activism within either the API and/or LGBTQ communities; however, applicants do not need to identify as either to apply. Preference will be given to those who identify as both API and LGBTQ.
I am an international student and/or not a U.S. citizen. Am I still able to apply?
Yes, as long as you are attending/enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution.
I am not queer or Asian. Am I still able to apply?
Yes, we welcome everyone to apply, including allies.
When will I know whether I am selected as a 2017 GAPA Foundation Scholarship recipient?
We will notify all candidates the status of their application via email by early September.
If I am selected as a 2017 GAPA Foundation Scholarship recipient, where will the check be sent to?
The check will be mailed directly to the financial aid office at your institution of learning.
When are applications due?
Applications are due June 30th, 11:59:59 PM PST. Late applications will be not considered.
III. APPLICATION INFORMATION
OK, sounds great. How do I apply?
Eligible candidates must complete an application form by answering short response questions, one essay prompt, and provide the following supporting documentation:
- Current academic transcript(s)
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, school administrator, counselor, employer, or community leader highlighting your community activism and leadership skills.
Candidates must submit application electronically through the provided link below.
When is the deadline? And is there anything else I should know about the application process?
- The last day to apply is 6/30/17 at 11:59:59PM PST.
- If additional evaluation of candidates is necessary to determine final recipients, the scholarship committee may require a follow-up questionnaire or interview.
- We will notify all candidates the status of their application via email by early September.
What does the process look like if I’m selected as a scholarship recipient?
- Awards will be granted directly to recipient’s Financial Aid Office.
- Recipient’s name and portions of the recipient’s application and essay may be used for GAPA Foundation’s publications and reports.
- GAPA Foundation requires final selected scholarship recipients to attend the award ceremony at our Community Connections Event in San Francisco. However, submission of video testimonial may be used in lieu to present at the event. The date is to be determined and will be announced to candidates ahead of time.
Can I apply again if I don’t receive a scholarship?
If you do not receive a scholarship, we encourage you to reapply in the following year cycle. Eligibility requirements may change each year.
Where do I go if I have more questions?
Please check to see if your question(s) has been answered on this FAQ. We will do our best to keep this page updated with any new information.
If you have any remaining questions, please contact us at email@example.com.