What is the GAPA Foundation Community Grant?
The Gay Asian Pacific Alliance (GAPA) Foundation Community Grants were initially established to provide funding for often overlooked projects that, nonetheless, had the potential to positively impact the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) and/or lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community. The purpose of the GAPA Foundation Community Grants is to provide core funding to under-resourced and/or underrepresented local community organizations and projects.
How much is the GAPA Community Grant?
The GAPA Foundation Community Grant can provide funding up to $5000. Several grants can be provided within a calendar year.
What are the minimum eligibility requirements for this community grant?
- You must have tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status,
- OR, you must have a fiscal sponsor who has tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status.
How do I apply?
- Eligible applicants must complete an application form and submit an itemized budget (see example of itemized budget here)
- Eligible applicants are encouraged to apply electronically but may alternatively complete a copy of the application and submit it to us via email at email@example.com.
When is the deadline? And is there anything else I should know about the application process?
- Application materials must be received no later than July 15, 2015, 11:59 PM PST.
- If additional evaluation of applicants is necessary to determine final recipients, the grant committee may require a follow-up questionnaire or interview.
- By early September, all applicants will be notified regarding whether or not they have been chosen as a grant recipient.
What does the process look like if I’m selected as a grant recipient?
- Awards will be granted directly to recipients.
- Recipient’s name and portions of the recipients’ application may be included in GAPA Foundation publications and reports.
- GAPA Foundation will require the participation of the grant recipient at the Community Connections Event in San Francisco on October 18th, 2015, or alternatively, the submission of materials (e.g. video testimonial, poster, artwork, Hangouts session, etc.) to be presented at the event.
What kinds of projects and organizations does GAPA Foundation typically fund?
Long story short, there is no “typical” profile for projects that GAPA Foundation funds! Any project that has the potential to make a strong, positive impact in the API LGBTQ community is the project that we are interested in funding! To learn more about the organizations that were funded in 2014, please visit our post here.
Where do I go if I have more questions?
First, check to see if you question has been answered on our Community Grant Guidelines page, which is available at www.gapafoundation.org/programs. We will do our best to keep this page updated with any frequent questions that we start seeing. Still have a question? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!